PiFast : the fastest windows program to compute pi
(128 million digits of p in less than 15 minutes on your computer !)
Records with pifast :
PiFast is an easy-to-use package written by Xavier
Gourdon to compute p
with a very large number of digits. PiFast is avalaible on several
platforms, download it from here.
PiFast can also compute E and a large family of user defined constants.
- pi with 25 billion digits (Size world record pi computation
on a home computer)
- e with 50.1 billion digits (e size world record computation)
- One billion digits of pi in less than 3 hours 48 minutes.
- One billion digits of e in 1 hour 31 minutes.
- Computes decimal digits of pi, e=exp(1), sqrt2, with the high
limit of 17 billion digits.
- Very fast (fastest pi program available on the web - July 5
- Much more economical in memory than other pi programs.
- Parameters can be used to fit in the memory machine (memory saved
<-> time lost).
- Able to handle disk memory for very large computations,
permitting to compute much more digits than could be contained in
the physical memory.
- Very large computations can be done in several chunks.
- Can compute a lot of other predefined constants (log(2),
zeta(3), ...) with many formulas.
- User can define his own formula to compute a constant.
- Can compress directly the output result and later, decompress
all or part of it.
Current version : Version 4.3
Version 4.3 is released (July 2003). This version is slightly faster
than the previous version. Contains bug corrections;
theoritical limit size has increased from 12 Gigas to 16 Gigas decimal
digits. More features and informations on pifast can be found in
the doc.txt file on the downlad page.
Other Pi programs on the web
Other pi programs on the web are referenced and compared on
Stu's pi page.
Among those, two programs are
comparable in speed with PiFast :
The program QuickPi, from Steve Pagliarulo, is comparable in speed
with PiFast when the number of digits is less than 1 million but
becomes less efficient for larger computations.
Another pi program running on Linux, named Schnell-pi and written by
Dominique Delande is also comparable in speed with pifast.
No windows version of this program exists for the moment.
Related links on p programs and computations
- Stu's pi page A best pi
programs record site.
Dara's Pi pages
Pi programs and comparison on several architectures.
Shigeru Kondo pi pages
The home page of the holder of most of the p and e records on a
Home page of overclockers (in
french). Summarizes the best timings obtained with various
benchmark programs, including pifast for 50 million digits and 1
For any general comments or large number of digits computation
experience with PiFast, send a message to
numbers, constants and computation
File translated from
On 14 Dec 2004, 14:20.